This General Home-based Care Skills Programme:
- comprises an extensive theoretical 26 training days plus a two week practical phase in the Knysna Hospital
- will give a caregiver the necessary knowledge and tools to care for someone
- who is sick, frail, has a disability or is living with HIV/AIDS in the RSA or overseas
- is accredited by the HEALTH & WELFARE SETA
- is outcomes-based and has a value of 22 credits towards the GET Certificate in Ancillary Health Care and
- is suited to candidates who are 18 years or older with Grade 10 and/ or experience.
The Unit Standards accredited include:
- Assess the client’s situation and assist and support both the client and family to manage home-based health care.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the provision and implementation of primary health care.
- Perform basic life support and First Aid procedures.
The Programme consists of ten modules:
- Module 1 Home-Based Care, The Caregiver And The Patient
- Module 2 The Human Body
- Module 3 The Elderly
- Module 4 Baby And Child Care
- Module 5 Observations And Record-Keeping
- Module 6 Disease, Disability And Health Problems
- Module 7 Hiv/Aids – Signs, Risks, Progression And Prevention
- Module 8 Tuberculosis
- Module 9 Care Management And Treatment including Emergency First Aid
- Module 10 Sources Of Referral For Support/Counselling