THE DREAM: MOSAIC CAPITAL OF AFRICA
The Mosaic Project was launched in February 2008 to attract Art Tourism to Sedgefield and stimulate the installation of mosaics throughout the town as well as build links between Smutsville/Sizamile and Sedgefield town. Masithandane is the implementing agent and co-ordinates and manages the Sedgefield Community Mosaic Art Tourism and Job Creation Project. The project carries the support of Knysna Tourism, Knysna Municipality and local business.
Local community members were initially trained to do practical mosaic work and they have subsequently also attended business training through both the CCDI (Cape Craft Development Institute) and Tsiba College.
The project aims to provide education and training through Mosaic Skills development, provide employment and self-employment opportunities, support and mentor emerging crafters and artists, render practical & financial assistance, use art tourism for economic and recycle waste products
Initially small works such as house numbers, business logos, murals for private homes, tables, benches along the lagoon and other private commission have been installed. In the past 3 years this project has blossomed and we have been privileged with large commissions such as:
- the “Children’s Wall” on the Smutsville Community Hall (approx. 40m²) depicting Education, Tourism, Marine Life and our Heritage.
- “Slow”, “Citta” and “Skillie”, 3 large tortoises that support Sedgefield’s pledge to remain a slow, family oriented village.
- “The Family,” commissioned by Knysna Municipality, is a mosaic and recycled metal sculpture comprising of a 2m high man, a woman, child and dog symbolizing the family values upheld by the Sedgefield community and our Citta Slow status.
- the “Heartbeat of Sedgefield”, a 2x5m² heart in the centre of the CBD.
- the “Moth War Memorial” depicting our fallen heroes and the fields of Flanders.See our gallery of big and small mosaics.If you wish to place an order / commission please contact Petricia on 076 324 8960
- Please contact our local tourism information office on 044-343 2658 to make a booking.
- Our MOSAIC ART TOUR was launched in 2013 and is a wonderful way of viewing the many mosaics on tour. The tour guide is a crafter of the team and he will delight you with the stories that surround each and every mosaic installation.
- In 2017 we launched our Sedgefield Community Interactive Mosaic Park. More information on this exciting initiative to follow.
- In December 2017 our community mosaic Orca officially joined the Octopus Garden